Thursday, February 28, 2013

Close Gaming: Beginnings in the Dead Space Trilogy

"Now, this moment isn’t original to this series and might go by quickly enough to escape notice if the better part of the first chapter weren’t still spent in that straitjacket. The immediate panic to escape is gone, replaced with the slower burn of forward-moving survival, also known as the “DON’T GO IN THERE!” effect. But I have to walk under the vents that just swallowed two gun-toting goons if I want to get out of this jacket and gain some defensive tools."

"I have to cross the blood-covered medical labs to find the lunatic with the scalpel. I have to let him free me, then pick up the flashlight, then watch him carve a deep gash across his own neck. I have to navigate the pitch, pitch-dark assembly room, no safer than before. I have to crawl into a vent where I know, I just know they’re crawling."

Full piece at Unwinnable.